Is quarantining getting you down? Maybe you’re just in need of some good old fashioned comfort food like this delicious banana cream pie! If that is the case, get cooking…no bandana required…unless you plan on sharing of course!
Nothing gives comfort better than a homemade cream pie. Chocolate and vanilla cream pies are delicious no doubt, but if given the option, banana is my top choice!
Smooth, sweet and creamy banana cream filling in a crisp graham cracker crust makes this pie just what you’re looking for to get rid of those “stay at home blues”! What I love about this homemade recipe is how easy it is to make and no instant pudding mix! A a few simple pantry items and some ripe bananas is all you need!
When it comes to easy homemade pie crust, a graham cracker crust is the way to go. Just place those graham crackers into your processor and pulse away, add melted butter and sugar, then press into a pie plate and bake. In 15 minutes you have the perfect pie crust for any cream pie!
So if you’re not sure if you can share this pie while properly practicing social distancing, just sit yourself down in a corner with the whole pie…but you may want to make some mini pies instead, or you’ll be wearing those sweatpants for a little longer than anticipated!
Stay safe out there everyone!😷
Graham Cracker Crust
- 9 whole cinnamon graham crackers ( 1 packet from a 3 packet box)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Banana Cream Filling
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups of milk
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut in small cubes
- 3 ripe bananas sliced
Fresh Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Making the Graham Cracker Crust
- preheat oven to 350 ℉
- place the graham crackers into your food processor of blender
*I used a Ninja Blender to make this crust
- pulse the graham crackers until they are completely broken down
- add melted butter and brown sugar and pulse just a few times
- empty the crust mix into a 9″ pie plate
- using a rubber spatula, press the crumbs into the pie plate evenly
- use a fork to press gently around the edges to make a clean edge
- bake pie crust in preheated oven for 15 minutes and remove it from the oven
Banana Cream Filling
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, sugar, and then add eggs and egg yolks whisking after each addition
- whisk in milk, vanilla, and a pinch salt
- place pan over medium heat and bring mixture to a boil while whisking constantly
- allow filling to bubble gently while whisking until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon *you may have to lower heat at this point so it doesn’t burn
- remove from heat and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes making sure to continue to whisk once a minute to prevent a skin from forming on the filling.
- add the butter in and whisk again until it is completely mixed in
- fold in sliced bananas
- pour banana filling into the graham cracker crust and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours
Whipped Cream Topping
- add the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into a chilled mixing bowl
- blend with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Spread the whipped cream over the entire pie with a spatula or use a pastry bag and pipe on some beautiful swirls for a professional looking pie!