Whether you are coming in from a day out on the slopes, or just weathering out the next winters’ storm, nothing takes the chill off better than a bowl of homemade soup. So, come right in and cozy on up to the fire and have yourself some delicious French Onion soup!
Did you know making a decadent French Onion soup is super easy and fast to make? In about forty-five minutes you can be slurping up that cheesy, rich onion flavor. With a floating baguette covered in melted Gruyere cheese , this soup makes a hearty meal. Now get out there and enjoy some cold winter activities…your soup will be waiting!
- 3-4 large sweet onions ( about 8 cups chopped)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 64 ounces beef stock ( 8 cups)
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 baguette sliced or thick sliced bread toasted
- 12 ounces ( 340 grams ) gruyere cheese shredded
Check out these cute oven safe soup bowls, perfect for French Onion soup!
- coarsely chop onion and set aside
- melt butter and oil together in a dutch oven or large pan on medium-low heat
*minimum 6 quart pan
- add onions to the pan and toss to coat with butter
- continue to cook onions on medium- low heat until all are soft and transluscent.
- add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to the onions and turn heat to high
- cook onions while continually tossing and stirring until they are brown, soft and sticky, then lower heat to medium
- add flour and toss into the onions until fully combined
- add the red wine and stir
- add beef stock and the spices and bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutesB
Adding the Bread and Cheese:
- ladle some soup into an oven safe bowl
- slice your baguette into 1″ slices and toast
- float your baguette toasts in the soup
- cover the toast with the shredded gruyere cheese
- place bowls onto a cookie sheet and place under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly