There is nothing like the smell of homemade muffins baking to give rise to even the most sleepy heads. Ok, maybe not as much as bacon can, but you can still work your magic by getting people up out of bed by making these tangy, traditional cranberry-orange muffins.
Cranberry Orange muffins have a sweet yet tangy taste that will delight your taste buds. These muffins have a moist texture and are slightly crunchy on top just like you would find at your favorite cafe or bakery. A perfect combination. Cranberry orange muffins have always been a favorite of mine, so I decided to create my own bakery-style recipe. I hope you enjoy them!
Why not host an afternoon tea with friends? Try pairing these scrumptious muffins with Twinings Orange & Cinnamon Spice Tea – 20 ct (1.41 oz) and you will have a perfect tea time duo!
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tsp orange emulsion or extract
- 1 ½ tbsp turbinado sugar ( for topping)
This recipe makes six jumbo muffins if using a regular 12 muffin tin, only bake muffins for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Mix milk with lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup boiling water over dried cranberries and let soak for 15 minutes.
- Mix flour with sugar and softened butter in a large mixing bowl until you have a coarse mixture.
- Add egg to milk and beat with a fork
- Drain excess water from cranberries and then add orange zest and orange flavoring. Mix well.
- stir the milk and egg mixture into the flour until moistened.
*Do not over mix the batter, it should be somewhat lumpy.
- Fold the cranberries into the batter
- spoon the batter into a prepared muffin tin or use baking cups
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
* you can use a 12 muffin tin by decreasing total bake time to about 20 minutes or until golden.