Triple Threat Bran Muffins
When you are looking for a triple threat breakfast food, these delicious muffins have what it takes to start your day off right! These high energy muffins are packed with flavor from blueberries, bran and buttermilk. A muffin with the perfect amount of sweetness to help you get you on your merry way.
Bran muffins certainly are delicious in their own right, but when you add blueberries and buttermilk into the mix, they become the triple threat of morning muffins! Loaded with antioxidants, blueberries not only add delicious sweetness, but also give you that free radical destructive power.
Bran has a truck load of health benefits as well, and when it comes to that all-important gut health, bran is where it is at. Just in one half cup of bran, you get 13 grams of dietary fiber! So if your wondering what the third part of this triple threat is, it is the buttermilk!
I bet you didn’t know that buttermilk is also great for your gut. Buttermilk is a fermented food therefore it has live cultures. It is the by-product when milk is churned into butter, it is loaded with probiotics. These probiotics help keep your gut microbiome in balance.
So, when your gut microbiome is a bit on the sluggish side, give these muffins a try. Its a delicious and healthy way to get your gut microbiome back in shape!
- 1 ½ cups bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries
- preheat oven to 350 ℉
- place bran in a small bowl and add buttermilk
- stir and let sit for 10 minutes
- in a separate bowl, beat oil, egg, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon
- add the bran mixture and the egg and sugar mixture together until blended
- whisk together dry ingredients: flour, salt , baking soda and baking powder and then add to the bran mixture
- fold in blueberries
- fill prepared muffin tins ¾ full *for bakery-style crunchy tops, sprinkle turbinado sugar over top of muffin batter
- bake for 30 minutes for jumbo size muffins or 20 minutes for regular size