The best ever lemon poppy seed muffin recipe is here! Or should I say cupcake recipe? What distinguishes a muffin from a cupcake anyway? Some say it’s in the flour, others say it is whether or not you put frosting on it. I say it’s in the texture and the sweetness. But oh, how I do love lemon. So, on a quest to create a lemony, brunch worthy muffin, I started baking.
My first attempt at this was by making a traditional muffin batter and adding some lemon extract and poppy seeds. The result was unimpressionable. Dull, bland flavor.
On my second try, I added more lemon. Adding zest from 2 lemons and then doubling the lemon extract, which resulted in muffins with slightly more of a lemon taste but with a strong alcohol taste. Too much extract was to blame.
The third time, I decided to try something totally different. I had used vanilla emulsion in the past so I thought I would try adding lemon flavored emulsion in this recipe. Using the emulsion, lemon zest, and lemon juice and opting to make these more like sweet cakes I used cake flour vs. all-purpose flour. I was hoping for a moist, sweet muffin, instead, they were delicious cupcakes! Finishing them off with the perfect lemon glaze on top and they were divine! So much for the “Best Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins”, these are definitely cupcakes!
These were so I good that next time I will probably make this recipe using 9″ cake pans, to make a delicious lemon poppy seed cake… but for now, I am off for a bike ride. Too many cupcakes are not good for the hips!
These amazing lemon poppy seed cupcakes with a lemon glaze are the perfect mid-morning snack or a compliment to any brunch menu. Deliciously moist with a lemony flavor you can’t deny!
- 1 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon emulsion or lemon essence
- 2 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven 375℉
- Make lemon zest, and set aside
Making the Batter:
- Blend together first 5 ingredients on the list on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending after each addition.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cake flour and blend.
- add milk and remaining cake flour and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes
- Add lemon zest and juice from the lemon, and blend well.
- Add poppy seeds and mix on low speed until blended.
- Fill muffin cups until 3/4 full
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a baking rack before glazing.
- Melt butter and add in lemon essence, confectioners sugar, and milk and blend with a spoon until smooth.
- When muffins are cooled, spread tops with lemon glaze.