The bright and sunny taste of lemon poppy seed cupcakes is the perfect morning eye opener! Your right, they look like muffins, but the texture and taste is more like a little cake, so cupcakes they are!
Now that doesn’t mean you can’t eat them for breakfast, on the contrary, these can compliment any brunch menu, as a little sweetness is an absolute must when creating the perfect brunch. But, my favorite time to eat these little lemony gems, is with my afternoon tea as I love the crunch you get when biting into those tiny poppy seeds.
These cupcakes are flavored with lemon zest, and lemon bakery emulsion. The lemon emulsion has a strong lemon flavor that is water based, so no alcoho like taste that you can get with straight lemon extract. There is no comparison to the taste you get with this bakery product.
These amazing lemon poppy seed cupcakes with a lemon glaze are deliciously moist with a lemony flavor you can’t deny!
These jumbo cupcake tins are perfect for any cupcake or muffin recipe!
Wilton Set of 2 $13.98
Range Kleen Ceramabake $16.99
- 1 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon emulsion or lemon essence
- 2 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven 375℉
- Make lemon zest, and set aside
Making the Batter:
- Blend together first 5 ingredients on the list on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending after each addition.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cake flour and blend.
- add milk and remaining cake flour and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes
- Add lemon zest and juice from the lemon, and blend well.
- Add poppy seeds and mix on low speed until blended.
- Fill muffin cups until 3/4 full
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a baking rack before glazing.
- Melt butter and add in lemon essence, confectioners sugar, and milk and blend with a spoon until smooth.
- When muffins are cooled, spread tops with lemon glaze.