So many delicious flavors in this recipe, your taste buds will thank you! Vanilla custard, salted caramel, and apples coated with cinnamon, all in a cinnamon tart shell. This one will be worth the wait.
It is made from simple everyday baking ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboards. I used frozen Cortland apples that we picked a few weeks ago at Stone Brook Hill Farm. This tart will be really nice for entertaining as it looks amazing and it can be a nice change from a typical apple pie…simply scrumptious!
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 dash salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla (optional)
- 5 cups fresh or frozen sliced apples
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
How to Put this Masterpiece Together:
- Put all crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until completely mixed.
- using your fingers or rubber spatula press the crust into your pie plate or flan until it even throughout. ( I used a flan dish for this recipe)
- trim the edges with a sharp knife to neaten the edges, if needed.
- place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- preheat oven to 350℉
- remove the tart crust from the refrigerator and dot bottom with a fork before baking.
- bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- in a medium saucepan, heat milk on medium heat.
- in a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- remove milk from heat just before boiling
- slowly pour hot milk into egg mixture while whisking briskly.
- pour custard mixture into the baked crust and place it in the oven with the baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 350℉
- Place sugar in a small saucepan and add 1 tbsp. of water.
- Cook on medium heat until a syrup forms.
- Add butter while whisking briskly until it is blended smooth.
- Add cream and continue to whisk and cook until bubbly and has a caramel consistency.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Cooking the Apples:
- place apple topping ingredients to a skillet. Cook on medium heat until tender about 10 minutes
- set aside to cool
- When tart is finished cooking, remove from oven and let cool.
- Pour a layer of caramel on top of the custard.
- Place apple slices into the caramel in a decorative fashion.
- Chill for 3 hours and serve with fresh whipped cream