Delicious angel hair pasta covered with broccoli and garlic pesto, you can bet this pasta dish won’t be hanging around for long! It’s a killer combination that broccoli and garlic, that is . Beautiful to look at to boot!
Okay, so Monday was Earth Day, and also my birthday. I planned on making an Earth Day/ Birthday Cake for my weekly post…. well that didn’t happen. With ham leftovers, and a delicious lemon and raspberry birthday cake that my daughter had made for me, plus a strawberry trifle from Easter in the fridge, I just couldn’t bring myself to cooking anything else.
So instead, here I am on a Thursday evening and I’m hungry from a day of shopping for a new car. I was looking for something quick and delicious and totally satisfying to eat, and the leftovers are finally gone. This broccoli garlic pesto is just what I need!
This recipe has just a few ingredients, and for a finishing touch it’s topped with parmesan and crushed red pepper, which really makes this dish amazing.
Oh, and yes we bought a car today. So, still being in the spirit of Earth Day, we bought a Subaru Outback, it’s our contribution to being environmentally conscious!
- ½ lb. angel hair pasta
- 4 cups of fresh broccoli florets
- 4 garlic cloves ( small to medium in size)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper for topping
- in a medium sized pot, start boiling water for cooking broccoli
- when water boils, add the broccoli and cook on high heat for 5 minutes, then drain the broccoli
- boil water in a large pot for cooking pasta
- cook pasta according to box directions
- reserve 1/2 cup or ladle full of pasta water before draining the pasta
- add broccoli, garlic, and oil into a food processor and pulse 3 or 4 times only
- after draining the angel hair pasta, put into a large serving dish and toss in the broccoli pesto
- add the reserved pasta water and toss it all together
*top off the pasta with freshly grated parmesan cheese and bit of crushed red pepper flakes and serve immediately