If you are looking for that perfect family night meal that will delight everyone, I have just the thing! ” Bowling” your burritos! That’s right, skip the wrap and toss everything into the bowl. 🥣
Burritos bowls have been popping up in restaurants everywhere these days. They are trying to appease the masses of those searching for “flourless” or “healthy carb” meals. Who can blame them? It is an easy way to lower the glycemic index for dinner. But what makes this meal perfect for family night? It is the ability to customize your bowl and make it your own. By “bowling” all your toppings, your family members can pick and choose their favorites, making this family night meal satisfying for everyone!
Burrito Base Ingredients
Serves 4 average appetites.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 package taco seasoning any variety
- 1 cup black beans ( rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- put all ingredients into a sauce pan on medium-high heat.
- bring ingredients to a simmer and cover with a lid, cook for 20 minutes or until all the water is gone.
- place rice in a bowl and cover to keep warm
*if using meat as a topping, season it with salt and pepper and start cooking the meat right after starting the burrito base. Grilled meat makes a great choice for this meal. I made a chicken burrito, so I preseasoned one large chicken breast and grilled it.
Your Choice of Toppings!
Here is a list of suggested toppings to use on your burritos, use as many as your family likes!
Some Meat Choices
- pulled pork
- fried prosciutto
*for a vegetarian option try some roasted veggies like onion, peppers and zucchini
Other Topping Choices
For 4 servings, prepare about 1/2 cup of each topping choice
- diced tomatoes
- bell peppers
- chopped cilantro
- lemon and lime wedges for drizzling
- pico de gallo
- crushed or whole tortillas
- taco sauce
- sour cream
Spicy Sour Cream Topping
- Mix 1/2 cup of sour cream with 2 tablespoons Siracha
Try some of these delicious family night meals!