Strawberry shortcake is wonderful. It has been served up in so many delightful arrangements. Sweet cake, berries and sweetened cream, you really can’t go wrong with this combination. So good in fact, that many have tried to recreate this taste in other forms, such as the all-time favorite strawberry shortcake bar or strawberry shortcake yogurt. So I decided to get a little creative and try making my own very special version of this dessert.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Trifle
I love trifles! They look so pretty and that’s what makes them perfect for entertaining. You can make them up ahead of time and then pull them out of the fridge whenever you need to. I decided to make this trifle with cream cheese, a cross between a strawberry shortcake and a New York cheesecake. This recipe was taste-tested by my own family and they absolutely loved it! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 2 packages lady fingers
- 2 bricks of cream cheese (8 oz. each)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cans strawberry pie filling
- 10- 15 fresh strawberries sliced
Layering the Trifle:
- Start putting this trifle together by blending both packages of cream cheese with the granulated sugar and vanilla until there are no lumps.
- Add 1 cup of whipping cream and blend until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl blend remainder of whipping cream with the powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- place a layer of ladyfingers in the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- place sliced strawberries around the trifle bowl
- spread a thin layer of strawberry pie filling over ladyfingers
- generously layer cream cheese mixture over pie filling
- take ladyfingers and place along the bowl, standing them upright and gently push down to set them into the cream cheese mixture.
- add a layer of strawberry pie filling over top
- add another layer of lady fingers over the strawberry filling
- add sliced berries all around the edges and push them down lightly to secure in place.
- add another layer of the cream cheese mixture
- and top a layer strawberry pie filling
- top off with whipped cream and fresh sliced berries
- refrigerate for 1 hour and serve
*for an extra festive look, try piping the whipped cream over the strawberry filling and then place sliced berries in-between the dollops.