This Cherry Galette baked in a skillet is soooooo ” in” right now! Why you ask? Because, it is the perfect ” Farmhouse” dessert!
If you haven’t noticed already, the “Modern Farmhouse” has taken over Instagram feeds. Farmhouse decor…farmhouse furnishings….farmhouse this and farmhouse that. I get it, it’s neutral, and calming, and oh so darn clean! Well it’s true, that is what they look like it isn’t it? So what makes this the perfect farmhouse dessert? It isn’t really that clean, or perfect at all…..but it really does add some rustic flair to your table, not to mention beautiful color that will accent all those neutrals!
This is a simple recipe of a quick sour cream pie dough and fruit with a little sugar and cornstarch, easy to prepare even for the novice baker!
This is a delicious pie dough that is pulsed in a food processor so it is very easy. Fill crust with a pile of fruit, roughly crimp up the edges and then bake it to crispy perfection!
This Cherry Galette is so good when served slightly warm with some vanilla bean ice cream on top. You won’t be able to stop at just one piece… it’s simply scrumptious!
- 1½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 9 tablespoons of butter
- 6 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water beaten for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons of turbinado sugar for sprinkling ( granulated sugar may be substituted)
- 24 oz. frozen cherries thawed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- dash of salt
Making the Dough:
- place flour, sugar, salt and cold butter into the food processor and pulse several times until you have a crumbly mixture.
- next add the sour cream to the food processor and pulse until the dough forms a ball inside the processor.
- remove the pie dough from the food processor and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- refrigerate for 30 minutes
- while the dough is chilling, mix together cherries, sugar, corn starch and salt in a medium bowl
Rolling the Galette Crust:
- preheat oven to 400℉
- remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface
- roll out gallette dough to about a 14″ circle
- when dough is rolled, carefully fold it lightly in half
- carefully place the dough into a skillet lined with parchment paper
* if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, no problem..just place onto a cookie sheet and follow directions below.
- beat 1 egg with water and brush on to the dough with a pastry brush
- pour fruit into center of the dough
- now gently fold the edges of the crust over the fruit filling
- brush the top of the dough with egg and water mixture
- sprinkle the entire galette with a generous amount of turbinado sugar
- bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden and crispy
* canned pie filling can easily be substituted for this recipe, but the homemade tastes so much better!