I live in New England, and when you are a NewEnglander, you have been exposed to really fresh seafood. Seafood has always been a mainstay here in the Northeast and I guess that is why every so often, my body craves it. One of my all time favorites is Shrimp Scampi over linguini. I have made this recipe so often I feel like I could make it in my sleep. Let me tell you why it so good.
I use fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp for this recipe. Why not use frozen precooked shrimp? The answer is simple….texture. Sometimes, when precooked frozen shrimp thaws, it has a mushy texture. We all have had those precooked shrimp rings at parties and holidays and the shrimp rarely tastes as good or as fresh as when you order shrimp cocktail at a restaurant. Believe me, it makes a difference. fresh garlic, sauteed in butter and olive oil, and a dry mild-flavored white wine like Pinot Grigio, and then adding in fresh lemon juice and chopped flat leaf parsley, makes this dish mouthwatering! I love to top it off with some freshly grated Parmesan and black pepper.
The really nice benefit of this recipe is that it is simple and quick. This makes a really great dish when entertaining friends, it is sure to impress! Serve it up with some garlic bread and a side salad and you have one delicious meal.
- 1 pound thawed uncooked shrimp ( remove tails and shells)
- 1/3 box linguine
- 4 cloves of fresh minced garlic
juice from 1\2 fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of reserved water from the pasta (optional). This helps the sauce grab onto the linguini.
- Start by boiling the water for pasta.
- When water reaches a full boil, add the pasta to the water.
- While pasta is cooking, add butter and oil to saute pan and heat on medium-low heat.
- Heat until butter is mostly melted then add garlic. Cook 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add shrimp to saute pan and cook until fully pink. Then add lemon and wine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add reserved water while stirring, until you get a lightly creamy texture cook 1 minute and add parsley.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Drain pasta when ready and place in the pasta bowl. Top with shrimp scampi and serve immediately.
Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top if you like and enjoy!!