When most people think of Cape Cod, they think of quaint little villages by the sea with streets lined with Artisan shops filled with every souvenir imaginable. But when I think of Cape Cod, I think about my family and lobster rolls.
Every summer as a child and into adulthood, my family packs up and drives to Cape Cod to spend the Fourth of July week playing mini golf, swimming and just enjoying the salt air. At least once during that week, we head to the Raw Bar at the Popponesset Marketplace. It is located in Mashpee and they are famous for their lobster rolls. Even today, it is still one of my favorite things to do.
I like to use New England hot dog buns for my lobster rolls, as this is the traditional one used here in the northeast. These rolls are slit on top and the lobster salad sits in the center. You can grill them up with a little butter for a fantastic crisp toasted bun. Any hot dog bun will do, but I do feel sorry for the folks who can’t get these in their regular supermarket, as I know they are not readily available outside of New England.
This recipe is simple to make and an absolute summer favorite.
- 2 cups lobster meat
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 3 dashes tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 4 hot dog rolls
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup Chopped celery
- Place lobster meat in bowl
- Place all other ingredients into the bowl with lobster.
- Mix together gently, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
- Butter both sides of hot dog rolls and place on a skillet on medium heat.
- Grill both sides of bread until golden brown.
- Remove lobster salad mix from the refrigerator and place onto the grilled hot dog bun.