Who is bringing the rolls for dinner this Easter? Why not you? These easy, sweet, melt in your mouth rolls can be your perfect dinner contribution! Pop them into an Easter basket and you also have a cute Easter centerpiece.
These rolls are deliciously light, and airy with a hint of sweetness. The two ingredients that make them special are the sweet cream butter and eggs. The buttery taste and pull apart flakiness is why these won’t last very long on your dinner table!
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter + a small amount extra for brushing tops of the rolls
- 2 packages dry active yeast (4½ teaspoons)
- 5 ¼ cups bread flour
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ⅓ cup warm water
Making the Dough:
- add milk, sugar, salt and butter in a small saucepan and heat on low until the butter is just melted and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- remove from heat, and cool to lukewarm
- add warm water to large mixing bowl or stand mixer
- add yeast water water and blend with a fork
- when the milk mixture is lukewarm, add it to the mixing bowl with the yeast
- add flour and eggs
- attach a dough hook to your mixer and mix on low speed until dough is stretchy and pulls away from the edges of the mixing bowl
Rising the Dough:
- grease a large bowl with butter or shortening and place the dough inside, roll the dough so that dough gets covered with a coating
- cover the dough with towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise for one hour or until it is doubled in size
Making the Rolls:
- sprinkle flour onto your work space and place dough over the flour
- punch down the dough
- to make rolls, flatten the dough to an inch thickness and flip the dough over.
- using a two inch circle cookie cutter ( I used a small juice glass for these) cut out all the rolls. After cutting, roll the remainder of the dough with rolling pin and cut the rest of the rolls.
*you can roll them into balls of about 3 tablespoons of dough each if you don’t want to use a cookie cutter
- place the rolls into a greased baking pan leaving about a ½ – ¾ inch of space between each roll
- cover the pan with a towel and allow rolls to rise for another hour
Baking the Rolls:
- preheat oven to 375℉
- bake rolls for about 25 minutes or until the are all golden brown
- brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter immediately after removing them from the oven
- let sit for 5 minutes
- then remove rolls from the pan and serve or allow them to cool complete on a wire rack before storing or freezing