So truth be told.. I am not a big fan of veggie burgers. I have had store bought brands, homemade, restaurant and even the Beyond Meat burgers that everyone has been raving about lately, but to be perfectly honest they don’t thrill me in the least. These on the other hand, are delicious!
I am not a vegetarian but I certainly do like eating lots of vegetables, broccoli being one of my all time favorites. So with that in mind, I wanted to make a veggie burger that actually tastes good!
These burgers are full of my favorite flavors, such as: broccoli, of course, parmesan, and pepper jack cheese (only not just your average jack here, this time it’s Cabot’s Fiery Habanero Jack Cheese) which is my newest cheese obsession! Ok I admit it, these burgers don’t resemble or taste like meat at all, not that veggie burgers ever do, but they do taste pretty amazing!
This is a fast-prep meal, pulse ingredients in a food processor, then add the pepper jack cheese, form into patties and cook for 10 minutes. Easy-peasy!
- 4 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup onion or ¼ medium onion
- ½ cup parmesan romano cheese
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese or your favorite shredded cheese
- 1 -2 tbsp bacon bits or crumbles ( omit for a vegetarian option)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
Makes 4 Large Burger Patties
- chop broccoli into florets
- place the first 10 ingredients into a food processor and pulse about 6-7 times until there are no large pieces of broccoli then empty into a large mixing bowl
- add cheese and bacon bits
- form the mix into 4 large burger patties
Cooking the Burgers:
- add butter and oil to a large skillet on medium heat until it starts to bubble a bit
- place patties in the skillet and cover. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the underside is golden brown
- turn burgers over and cook for another 5- minutes
- serve on a toasted hamburger bun with your favorite burger toppings.
*mayo, lettuce and tomato is the best!!