Warm, sweet and delicious, nothing better than donuts fresh from an air fryer. Yes, they are air fryer donuts! Healthy….well I wouldn’t say that, but they sure are tasty and maybe not quite as bad for you as the deep fried variety.
These mini donuts are light and airy and made with yeast. The dough itself is slightly sweet, but the real sweetness here comes from your choice of donut glaze. Cinnamon sugar, or vanilla sugar glaze will give these little babies the finishing touch they deserve! Hope you love them as much as we did!
Looking for a cream filled donut recipe? Click here
Makes about 15 mini donuts: with a few donut hole bites
*this recipe was made a day ahead allowing the dough to rise slowly overnight
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup warm milk
- 1½ tablespoons of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cups of confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons of milk
- warm the milk in the microwave to about 110℉
- add sugar and the yeast to the milk and let it stand for 10 minutes or until it is foamy
- blend together the eggs and the melted butter in a mixing bowl
- add the milk mixture and blend
- place flour and salt in a stand mixer and turn on low speed
- add the wet mixture to the mixing bowl and allow dough to mix thoroughly, increase speed to #2 for about 3 minutes or until it the dough pulls away from the edges of the mixing bowl
- place the dough into a greased bowl and roll the dough around to coat the ball of dough with shortening and cover with plastic
- place in a refrigerator overnight.
Making the Donuts:
- remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a floured surface
- roll out dough into a rectangle about ½ inch thickness
- using a donut cutter or 2 inch cookie cutter, cut out donuts*I used a small cup for cutting the donut circles and the wide end of a pastry tip to cut the donut holes and it worked perfectly
- place all donuts on a greased baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise fully * test by gently push your finger slightly into the donut, if it leaves a dent that are ready.
Air Frying the Donuts:
- in a small bowl mix cinnamon and sugar together until well incorporated
- mix all ingredients for sugar glaze in another small bowl
- place donuts into the air fryer pan making sure the edges of the donuts touch each other
- set air fryer to bake setting 310℉ cook for five minutes and then turn the donuts over and cook for another five minutes
- while donuts are still hot, use tongs and dip the donuts into the cinnamon sugar or sugar glaze and coat the entire donut and then place them on a cooling rack.
- repeat the entire process until all the donuts are cooked.