For when you need an extra pound or two!
Yes, it’s a pound cake and I have totally figured out why these delicious cakes are called pound cakes. I used to think “pound cake” meant the cake weighed about a pound, and it might, but I am convinced it is only because when you eat a slice, you gain a pound! Actually, the term pound cake comes from the older European version of the same, one pound of each ingredient resulting in a four pound cake: one pound butter, one pound sugar, one pound flour, one pound eggs, …holy poundcake! Well, this version isn’t quite that heavy, thankfully.
What makes this cake perfection is the white chocolate mixed right into the batter and its’ white chocolate glaze. This pound cake is nothing short of wonderful. The recipe is moist, not dry and crumbly like some pound cakes can be.
Diet food this is not, and these dense delectable slices will tempt you to take another and then another, but instead, spread the joy or else it may be your hips that are doing the spreading!
Need a bundt pan for this recipe? Click photos for great deals on these pans!
- 4 oz Ghirardelli white baking chocolate
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 ⅔ cups of granulated sugar
- 2 ⅔ cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
White Chocolate Glaze:
- 3 oz. Ghirardelli white chocolate baking squares
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- preheat oven to 325℉
- place 4 oz. of chocolate and the evaporated milk into a microwave-safe bowl.
- heat in microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between each one until all the chocolate is melted
- set aside to cool
- in a stand mixer, blend together softened butter with sugar
- add eggs one at a time into the butter mixture mixing well after each addition
- add in half the flour mixture and half of the chocolate mixture into the mixing bowl and mix on medium speed
- add in the rest of the flour and the chocolate mixture to the batter and blend on medium speed for 2-3 minutes
- pour batter into a greased bundt pan
- bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted the cake
- place cake on a cooling rack and let cool completely before icing
Making the Chocolate Glaze:
- melt butter and chocolate in microwave at 50% power in 30 second increments until chocolate is completely melted.
- stir well
- stir in confectioners sugar and vanilla and milk until it is smooth and it is a drizzling consistency
- drizzle icing over the cooled cake and frosting will set in 5 minutes