Cheesecake is one of the most versatile desserts, there are so many ways to serve a cheesecake. One of my favorite ways to make cheesecake is to make the no-bake variety. I like it
Candy canes are strictly a Christmas candy, and besides, who can resist that cool refreshing flavor of peppermint? Not to mention a great breath neutralizer, perfect for entertaining! This cheesecake looks festive to boot, the crushed candy canes lightly sprinkled over peppermint whipped cream gives this dessert the extra special Christmas flair. This cake will be frozen for my family’s annual Christmas Eve gathering. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese ( at room temperature)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 full-size candy canes ( crush by placing in a sealed Ziploc bag and crush with a hammer)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup chopped peppermint bark ( I used Ghiradelli’s for this recipe)
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
Preparing the Graham Cracker Crust:
I used Nabisco Original Graham Crackers pulsed with the butter and sugar in my Ninja Professional Blender its an easy way to make crumbs and mix your ingredients in one step. Start by placing some parchment paper in the bottom of a 10″ springform cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Blend crumbs, melted butter
and1/4 cup sugar.
- Pour the crust mixture into the pan and press down with a rubber spatula until completely smooth and even.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
The Cream Cheese Filling
- In a small saucepan, add 1 package gelatin with 1/4 cup of water and stir.
- Place pan over low heat and dissolve the gelatin until clear.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Add in gelatin, milk and 1/4 cup crushed peppermint.
- after blending, refrigerate mixture until it is slightly thickened (about 5 minutes)
- in a chilled bowl, pour 1 cup whipping cream and blend on high speed until soft peaks form
- fold whipped cream and peppermint bark into peppermint cream cheese mixture
- pour cheesecake filling over the cooled graham cracker crust
- even filling out with rubber spatula
- refrigerate for 3 hours.
Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Put 4 teaspoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl
- Sprinkle the 2nd package of gelatin over the water and allow to sit a few minutes
- Place bowl in the microwave for 10 seconds and then mix thoroughly until smooth
- In a chilled bowl blend whipping cream with 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract until soft peaks form and then blend in the gelatin.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe whipped cream into a decorative pattern onto the chilled cheesecake
- Sprinkle remainder of the crushed candy cane over the whipped cream and cake and serve.